Christmas time can be a difficult time for families with a loved one living with Alzheimer’s and Dementia. However, searching for the perfect Christmas gift for Alzheimer’s and Dementia doesn’t have to be difficult. At IP Homecare, we have years of experience caring for someone living with Dementia. To give you a helping hand we have created our top christmas present ideas.
Our top Christmas gift ideas for Alzheimer’s and Dementia:
- Voice-activated technology device. The Echo dot is great for our elderly loved ones. It is a hands-free, voice-controlled device and can be set up to remind them to take their medication, set up a playlist of their favourite songs, remind them to have lunch and dinner and can even control the lights and adjust smart appliances within the home. It can even tun on the TV, adjust the thermostat and even adjust oven temperature.
- Large Wall Photo Calendar Create a large wall calendar full of family photos with special memories. There are a variety of websites and shops which offer this service and can be created very quickly.
- Bathrobe Buy a fluffy bathrobe or a soft blanket in their favourite colour. This is especially useful for those in the latter stages of Dementia as it’s a sensory stimulant.
- CDs or records Buy their favourite CDs or records from when they were younger. You could even buy them a digital music player preloaded with their favourite songs.
“Music, especially singing, can be a powerful tool in dementia care to unlock memories and kickstart the grey matter,” Alzheimer’s Society
- DVD Buy them their favourite film or television show. You could even watch these together.
Doll Therapy is widely recognised as a valuable therapeutic intervention for those living with Dementia.
When buying flowers ensure they are a variety of colours and shape. Altered perception is common with Alzheimer’s and Dementia especially in the latter stages of the disease. Monochromatic colours (black and white) can make it extremely hard for those living with Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
- Colouring Book
Another christmas gift idea for Alzheimer’s and Dementia is an adult colouring book. The trend has really taken off and colouring helps adults practise mindfulness, as the action requires the mind to focus on the present moment.
- Voice Controlled Alarm Clock
A voice controlled alarm clock provides a recorded message every time your loved one wakes up. You can either set up the alarm clock according to their routine or record a message that will sound a reminder for a specific task at that selected time. This will enable them to complete their important tasks when you’re not there.
- Digital Calendar Clock
These are extremely handy as their sizeable display means that the time can easily be seen from various distance from the clock itself. The time and date appears in large letters and comes in 8 different languages.
- Soft Toys
It’s a proven fact those living with Dementia are comforted by touching soft objects. Ensure you buy a soft toy with different kinds of fabric and textures as this will engage interest.
Recently diagnosed with Dementia?
If someone has recently been diagnosed with Dementia then please download your FREE guide to Understanding Dementia.